Ranges and/versus iterators

Tue Mar 23 03:41:37 PDT 2010

clueless bystander wrote:
> Watching D evolve from the outside there seems to be a lot of ongoing discussion
> on this newsgroup about the D range idiom which is somehow opposed to conventional
> thinking about iterators.
>
> Can someone please explain in plain words just exactly what a range is and how
> it differs from the iterator concept (if that's appropriate???) and what are the benefits
> from a data modeling and access perspective.
>
> Sure, I'm clueless, though suspect many other bystanders would appreciate a
> succinct heads-up.
>
> Thanks,
> clueless bystander

I'm probably not the right person to answer your question, since I have
virtually no experience with C++ iterators.  Instead I'll just refer you
to Andrei's own article on the subject:

   http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1407357

Please don't hesitate to ask again if it didn't clear things up for you. :)

-Lars