Scope operator like in C++?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 23 05:56:12 PDT 2010

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:06:59 -0400, TimK <qwesxrfvzgb at web.de> wrote:

> == Quote from Steven Schveighoffer (schveiguy at yahoo.com)'s article
>> Second, GDC is horrifically old.  I'd recommend switching to ldc or the
>> latest dmd 1.
>
> Unfortunately I'm using Debian Stable 64 Bit right now and switching to
> either of
> those is out of the question (at least for now). Maybe I'll upgrade to
> Squeeze
> (and the LLVM compiler) soon.
> Anyway, thanks for the input, I'll keep that in mind if something won't
> work.

I think the latest ldc is 64-bit.  And there are a fair amount of people
who use a 32-bit compiler on a 64-bit system, but I agree it's not savory.

>> The D compiler has a builtin documentation
>> generator, so someone trying to use your functions will want to turn to
>> that instead (much easier to read), and maintenance on two files that
>> have
>> to always be in sync is sucky to say the least.
>> For an example of what really good generated docs look like, see tango's
>> docs: http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/docs/current
>> My recommendation is to simply build your code inline, just like Java
>> and
>> C#, and use the doc generation tools to document your functions.  It
>> will
>> take some getting used to, but I think you will appreciate the
>> single-point-of-editing aspect of it.
>
> Oh, I didn't know that D had a builtin documentation generator... Well
> if the
> documentation will look like that then reading the class itself would
> become
> useless anyway.
> Guess I'll use that :)

Just a note, I think Tango uses dil (http://github.com/azizk/dil/ a D
compiler written in D, not complete but the parser works) to generate the
docs, so in order to make them look that good, you may have to do
something similar.  dmd also generates decent docs, I use it for
dcollections along with candydoc.  In general, I don't think there's any
excuse to not use a doc generator :)

-Steve