Output of dmd and dmd.conf location

Moritz Warning moritzwarning at web.de
Wed Mar 24 12:11:42 PDT 2010

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:55:12 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> On 03/24/2010 01:33 PM, Moritz Warning wrote:
>> Can dmd output the location of it's binary and the dmd.conf it uses? It
>> would be really helpful to solve a lot of problems and confusion that
>> arises in #D.
>>
>> People use different installers, packages and what else not when some
>> installation doesn't work right away. Usually it makes every other
>> attempts to find the problem a nightmare.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> You mean in -v builds? I also think that would be very useful. Also
> having the module name, whether express or deduced, would be great.
>
> Andrei

dmd -v doesn't outputs the absolute path of the dmd binary.
Information about the path that must be used in dmd.conf
needs some deduction from the dmd -v output (when the dmd.conf is
working).

But when there is a wrong dmd.conf (with wrong paths inside) picked up by
dmd, then there is no information at all:

dmd main.d -v
parse     main
importall main
import    object        (object.d)
object.d: Error: module object cannot read file 'object.d'

Having the absolute path to dmd and dmd.conf would help a lot at this
point.
I've seen countless people struggling and also failing with this problem..