Implicit enum conversions are a stupid PITA

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Mar 25 20:11:31 PDT 2010

Nick Sabalausky:
> As long as we're bikeshedding on type names,

"There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation and naming things" ^_^

>I do find it misleading that "char" represents a code-unit while still calling itself a "character".<

The development of the BitC language has restarted, it's a system language that looks like Scheme. It's efficient. This is is the start of a small thread about unicode in BitC:

http://www.coyotos.org/pipermail/bitc-dev/2010-March/001812.html
http://www.coyotos.org/pipermail/bitc-dev/2010-March/thread.html#1812

They agree with me that 32 bit chars can be not really true chars, so I think essentially even UFT32 is an bidirectional Range.

Bye,
bearophile