Implicit enum conversions are a stupid PITA

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Thu Mar 25 20:32:29 PDT 2010

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Supporting it means it will "silently and disastrously break code" from
> anyone who tries to use a leading zero and *isn't* a C guru,

You don't need to be a guru to know that. I was once a C newbie, and never had
any trouble with it.

It isn't just C, either, the same syntax is used in C++, Objective-C, Groovy,
M4, Clojure, Go, Java, Scala, Javascript, PHP, Ruby, bash, Python (2.6 and
earlier) and Perl.

(It is not used in C#, Python 3.0, Fortran, or VisualBasic.)