Implicit enum conversions are a stupid PITA

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Mar 25 23:35:16 PDT 2010

"Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:hoh85i$1kbj$1 at digitalmars.com...
> bearophile wrote:
>> The wchar/dchar are short names, easy to write, but for me and a person
>> I've
>> shown/taught D it doesn't result easy to remember their size in bytes.
>> "w"
>> stands for wide, "d" for double, this is easy to remember. But how wide
>> is
>> wide? That's why I have suggested to adopt more descriptive names for
>> them.
>
> The wchar and dchar stem from the popular WORD and DWORD sizes on the x86
> platforms. wchar_t is of course "wide character" for C, and is often used
> for UTF-16 at least on Windows platforms.

I think that's why I never had a problem with wchar/dchar. I've dealt with
x86 WORD/DWORD. Though I guess that also indicates why other people may find
it unintuitive, not everyone has gone low-level like that.