Implicit enum conversions are a stupid PITA

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Fri Mar 26 17:31:02 PDT 2010

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 03/26/2010 06:26 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> KennyTM~ wrote:

>>> And removed in ECMAScript 5 (next standard of Javascript).
>>
>> I didn't know that. But still, it's hard to be a programmer and not use
>> a language that has such literals.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

I was responding to Nick's argument:

Supporting it means it will "silently and disastrously break code" from anyone
who tries to use a leading zero and *isn't* a C guru, and very few people these
days are (I used C for years without being aware of that octal syntax - it's
only by dumb luck I didn't try to use a leading zero).