literals

Fawzi Mohamed fawzi at gmx.ch
Sun Mar 28 07:14:07 PDT 2010

On 28-mar-10, at 14:48, so wrote:

> I don't think it is that complex, if it is please point me.
> It is simple math.
>
> "3" the number belongs to many number systems.
> Making default int (actually "signed int") is the source of
> complexity, same goes for "0.3".
>
> For function overload case:
>
> foo(float)
> foo(double)
> foo(real)
>
> If i call the overloaded functions above with foo(0.3),
> since i haven't explicitly stated (in C world, i explicitly stated
> it is double) which function i refer,
> it is my fault, compiler should warn/error or give me the highest
> precision available, you name it.

or give you the "default" precision. And note that this problem is not
what you pointed out initially, but something I gave.

I don't see the same problem with signed int...

> The reason might be compatibility but i am unable to see any
> efficiency there.

double occupies less space and can use SSE instructions.

> What i want is simple, in a generic code, which in this case a
> template,
> i should be able to write the code below with "zero" implicit casts.
>
> T inv(T m)() {
> 	return 1.0 / m;
> }
>
> What do you see in this code?

invalid code?

> What the user wants?

probably

T inv(T)(T m) {
	return 1 / m;
}

> User explicitly stated that he wants "1.0" in the type of T.
> So when "T" is float, give the float version of "1.0".

Integers are the only values that can be represented without any
approximation (unless you resort to rationals, or inefficient
representations that are probably ok only at compile time or in very
specific applications).
So generic code should use integers, not floating points.
You might argue that the way to get a floating point literal of type T
is ugly:
	cast(T)1.0
for example fortran uses 1.0_T, but one can definitely live with it,
anyway normally you should use integers, generic floating point
literals is not really something that is so well defined...