D is dead, so now where it the money going?

Steve Teale steve.teale at britseyeview.com
Sun Mar 28 07:22:42 PDT 2010

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 13:20:57 +0200, Pelle Månsson wrote:

> On 03/28/2010 07:16 AM, JamesKan wrote:
>> Andrei wants some (he just wants money, huh). Walter? Shut it down.
>> Count the people engaged in this<whatever it is>, and if a few select
>> capitalize on its failure, then, who are you? There is no money in D.
>> None. Nada. Religions are not for profit. It's OK to worship, whoever
>> <stupid>  people want to. If TDPL goes to press, there is something
>> VERY wrong (and there is).
>>

> Have I not seen this very text before on this newsgroup? Or at least
> something very similar?
>
> Fun.

Do you mean this one?

"What problems has D solved? (Other than providing compiler writers with
masturbatory material). Light bulb (!!!): D is a circle jerk! (Not that
there's anything wrong with that)."

It has a similar tone.

Why would someone be so bitter and write so badly? Even if it were the
case that D was not really any more than a discussion group for ideas
about compiler design, it would still be a worthwhile exercise.

Walter has been contributing to the industry for years, and anyone who
has done that in the way he has will have experienced ups and downs. He's
the last person I know who I would describe as money-grabbing.

If Andrei wants to risk all the work it takes to get a book published,
and he's bet on a particular horse, then whichever way it goes, that's
his own choice. Since when was there an unwritten rule that you can't do
speculative technical work with a view to making some money in the
future. If people hadn't done that many times we would barely have
computers and computer languages at all!

I'd put it more bluntly than some (not to you Pelle) - piss off you
anonymous prat, or be clear about your identity then we can all judge
your motives.

Steve