literals

so so at so.do
Mon Mar 29 07:57:31 PDT 2010

> The example you give cannot be solved easily and efficiently (find the
> type to use in a function) without some kind of inference based on the
> return type, annotations, or Hindley Milner style type inference.
> annotation don't scale, using inference based on the return type is very
> difficult and not doable in general, few languages do it (aldor for
> example did it), Hindley Milner is incompatible with C.
>
> Please note that (possibly due to my C background) I like to put some
> type annotations, in my (limited) experience that pays off also with ML
> style languages, otherwise when you have ambiguity small errors can
> change the called functions and give surprising results.
>
> Fawzi

Finally i am able to explain it with 2 words, Hindley Milner :)
I want credit too! i also found it independently!

Thanks for the explanation, i don't really like non-system, non-generic
languages, non-D like languages.
Especially when a language has dumb reasons for not providing an utility.
(Java operator overloading case)
D is the best choice for me by miles and i can learn to live with casts as
i did in C++.