Fatal flaw in D design which is holding back widespread adoption

Lutger lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 12:59:08 PDT 2010

Walter Bright wrote:

> Lutger wrote:
>> Matt wrote:
>>> I shouldn't be using notepad, I should be using YOUR
>>> editor which makes your faulty method work?
>>
>> D does not support notepad.
>
> D doesn't care what text editor you use.
>
> BTW, type a file to a console window. Tabs come out as 8 characters, on
> Windows, Linux, and OSX.

That was supposed to be irony, like this whole thread seems to be :) Anyway,
this is from the linux kernel coding standards, you might like it:

Tabs are 8 characters, and thus indentations are also 8 characters.
There are heretic movements that try to make indentations 4 (or even 2!)
characters deep, and that is akin to trying to define the value of PI to
be 3.

Rationale: The whole idea behind indentation is to clearly define where
a block of control starts and ends.  Especially when you've been looking
at your screen for 20 straight hours, you'll find it a lot easier to see
how the indentation works if you have large indentations.

Now, some people will claim that having 8-character indentations makes
the code move too far to the right, and makes it hard to read on a
80-character terminal screen.  The answer to that is that if you need
more than 3 levels of indentation, you're screwed anyway, and should fix
your program.