Fatal flaw in D design which is holding back widespread adoption

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 30 14:43:25 PDT 2010

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 17:16:19 -0400, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com>
wrote:

> Steven Schveighoffer:
>> A style guide is just a guide, it's not a requirement.  Most people
>> ignore it.<
>
> If most people ignore it, then it's useless or worse than useless.
> C/C++ programs are too much free in such regard because those languages
> were born lot of time ago. If you look at C# code you can download from
> most sites you will see class methods written with a starting upper
> case. If you download code from most Python repositories you will
> usually find Classes, variable_names, etc.

I guess, but when I write code in languages I'm not used to, I just use
the style I did with my previous language.  For instance, all my C# (and
D) code uses lowerCamelCase for methods and properties.  It doesn't make
it any less readable, and it doesn't make it useless, it's just different
than other projects.  I just don't see a style guide as being that
important for either adoption or readability.  I think it is important
that the same style be kept within a project, but other than that,
anything is fair game to me.

Let's not make this into a big deal, unified style is not that important
in the grand scheme of things.

-Steve