Solution for Fatal flaw in D design which is holding back widespread adoption(tm)

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Mar 31 12:44:16 PDT 2010

"Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:hp08a9$19la$2 at digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> And here's an even crazier idea: Some sort of well-thought-out UCF format
>> (Unicode Code Format) that is like plain-text, but includes a standard
>> metadata header (typically hidden while editing) that can help sort all
>> this stuff out, and maybe other things as well. Obviously it would
>> require special support from compilers and editors, but if it was
>> well-designed (including discouragement of proprietary extensions - don't
>> want a repeat of HTML) then I think it would be worth trying to push.
>
> Sorry, but anything that requires D users to use a custom editor for a
> special source code file format is doomed to failure.

I was thinking of it as whole-programming-world kind of thing not specific
to any langauge, kind of like how UTF has been replacing ASCII and code
pages (although this would use UTF). Basically kind of like a programmer's
RTF (although it obviously wouldn't involve setting fonts and colors, but
rather things like tab settings).

I agree that getting it to actually happen would be an uphill battle
(especially if there's no large organization backing it :( ), but it could
be worth the potential benefits if it were to happen.