Solution for Fatal flaw in D design which is holding back widespread adoption(tm)

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Mar 31 12:48:47 PDT 2010

"Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:hp087r$19la$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> Alhough it wouldn't necessarily even need to be a full-fledged source
>> formatter. Just something to sanitize the whitespace between
>> start-of-line and anything non-whitespace would be a huge improvement
>> *and* be cross-language.
>
> I think that's a great idea. Yesterday, I wrote the following program and
> added it to the dmd makefile so that all checkins and installs run the
> source code through it first. I welcome improvements. The current version
> replaces tabs with spaces, and removes trailing whitespace.

Sounds great.

> If someone is ambitious, a full fletched D source code pretty printer
> would be valuable that anyone could use, and which all Phobos source code
> could be run through in order to enforce a common style.

For bonus points, they could expose it as a library so editors and other
tools can make use of it without shuffling everything through command-line
params, stdout and the filesystem.