Linking large D programms

Torsten Sommerfeld Globe13.Trotter17 at gmx.de
Sat May 1 01:48:33 PDT 2010

Hello,

I have a problem creating executables from more than 100 d modules (under
linux). DMD compiles even 300 files in seconds but the linking step takes
several minutes. It is clear that the linker has do handle an enormous amount
of symbols so it needs the time.
However it is hardly acceptable on the long run.

Are there some alternative linkers to replace ld? Is there an incremental
linker which can be used?

If I cannot find a solution for this problem I fear I have to convert my
project to Java (my D code looks almost like Java code) wher this "limitation"
is not there.
I do not like Java much and converting is a painful lot of work but as it is I
cannot continue with D.

Does anyone have any ideas?

- Torsten