// A great help for the best D, I think //

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Sat May 1 17:23:16 PDT 2010

On 2010-05-01 19:37:44 -0400, Walter Bright <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> said:

> Ary Borenszweig wrote:
>> Then a long text below that, the links on the left are at the same
>> level as the title and the text. But the other links (wiki, search,
>> etc.) are above all of that, so I don't see them. And as far as I
>> remember, other people couldn't see them either.
>
> I wonder if it's ad blindness.

I'd say it's more a lack of visual hierarchy or bad categorization
problem. If you look at any page in the D section of Digital Mars,
here's what you notice most, in that order:

- Digial Mars Logo
- A main menu (Home, Downloads, Search, Wiki, Forums, D)
- A divider bar
- A side bar where the first link is [D 1.0] or [D 2.0]
- The actual page content

The divider bar before the content makes it looks like the menu above
applies to the Digital Mars site as a whole. The truth is that some
items in the main menu apply to Digital Mars (Home, Search, Forums),
some apply to D (Downloads, D), and one is about the current page
(Wiki). It doesn't really make sense, and thus it's confusing.

You need to make the page hierarchy clearer:

- Digital Mars
  - D
    - Page Content

Then you can put links where they belong. A link that is related to the
actual content of the page (like the Wiki link that points to comments
*for the current page*) should be visually attached to the page's
content). Other links need to belong to their corresponding section.
Here's my suggestion:

Digital Mars:  [Home] [Search] [Forums] ... anything about digital mars