Improving Compiler Error Messages

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sat May 1 20:08:53 PDT 2010

On Sat, May 01, 2010 at 07:56:42PM -0700, Walter Bright wrote:
> http://www.drdobbs.com/blog/archives/2010/05/improving_compi.html

> 1. quit on first error
> This certainly prevents any cascaded messages, and is adequate for a hobby
> compiler. Professional users expect much better.

Am I strange in that this is all I really pay attention to? I generally
hit compile, look at just the first error, fix it, compile again, repeat
until it goes through.

Probably habit formed from most errors beyond the first being mostly
useless anyway, but I'd actually be perfectly ok with it stopping at the
first one.

> The next dmd update is getting the fruits of this.

Cool!

--
Adam D. Ruppe
http://arsdnet.net