Improving Compiler Error Messages [OT]

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon May 3 12:03:17 PDT 2010

"Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:hrn5ft$oq2$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> I'm also another person that finds semicolons magically appearing at the
>> end of statements...even when I use a language that doesn't allow them ;)
>
> It's funny how that works. I was once asked what the key command was for a
> particular operation in my text editor. I didn't know, so I started the
> editor and did the operation, watching my fingers, and reported the key
> command.

I've noticed that a lot in videogames. I never know what button does what,
but after trying a few buttons I get a "feel" for the controls, and on
subsequent plays, I still have no idea what does what, but as soon as I grab
the controller I can just "do" everything. I think most gamers are like this
too.

There's been mention about this in Scientific Americam Mind recently. Don't
remember exactly which issue or article, but there was a big thing about the
brain's "sense of body ownership", that part of the brain responsible for
it, the implications of it (such as how controls can become second-nature,
such as when driving a car - the brain literally treats it as if it were
part of the body, about the only difference is that a real limb has neurons
that act as a "mini-brain" that can learn - that part wasn't mentioned in
the article, but the Science Channel talked about it once), and the problems
that can arise when this mechanism gets confused (out-of-body experience,
phantom limbs, "disowning" limbs and in some cases assuming the limb to be
"evil" or a communist (I'm not making that up!)).