Unit tests in D

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed May 5 11:13:16 PDT 2010

Walter Bright:
> But why? Just use:
>     foo(10);

I think you are missing something important here.

Static asserts (or other implicit errors) inside a template, etc, test that some input types are correct, some template input values are in the correct range, etc.

In this thread we are talking about unittests. The purpose of a unit Inside a unit test is to test that something that can be called Foo works as specified. Working as specified means such Foo must return the correct outputs when the inputs are in its intended range of possible inputs (otherwise the unittest has to fail), and it must produce a compile time assert, run time assert, or throw an exception if the input values are outside the allowed ones (otherwise the unittest has to fail again).

So the purpose of the feature I am talking here is for the group of those unittests, to make sure something asserts at compile time (or otherwise doesn't compile) when the compile-time inputs are wrong.

So I need something that inside the unittest asserts at compile time if Foo does not asserts at compile-time (or otherwise refuses to work).

Bye,
bearophile