Improving Compiler Error Messages

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmail.com
Thu May 6 12:26:10 PDT 2010

Walter Bright wrote:

> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> I'm also another person that finds semicolons magically appearing at the
>> end of statements...even when I use a language that doesn't allow them ;)
>
> It's funny how that works. I was once asked what the key command was for a
> particular operation in my text editor. I didn't know, so I started the
> editor and did the operation, watching my fingers, and reported the key
> command.

I tend to be that way with passwords. I think that most anything typing-
related that you do a lot without thinking about it just goes into muscle
memory. So you can constantly do it, but because you don't have to think
about it, you have a hard time consciously remembering how to do it if you
have to remember it to tell someone else or whatnot.

It reminds me of a post on SO (on a question relating to computer pranks
IIRC) how someone's password wasn't working for them, but the sysadmin had
no trouble typing it in when they were told what it was. It turns out that
the person having trouble was not a touch typist (while the sysadmin was),
and someone else had rearranged the keys on their keyboard. So, if you
didn't look at the keys you were fine, but if you had to read the keys, you
were screwed...

- Jonathan M Davis