envy for "Writing Go Packages"

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Fri May 7 02:55:15 PDT 2010

On 5/7/10 00:59, Graham Fawcett wrote:
> A screencast overview of the Go package model (writing, publishing,
> downloading, and installing third-party code):
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDWBJOXs_iI
>
> Simple and well conceived! I would like this for D please (and am willing
> to help :)).
>
> DSSS covers similar ground, but appears to be moribund (and suffers from
> a single point of failure problem). Is there interest in developing some
> simple but effective package-management tools like Go's?
>
> Best,
> Graham

I would like this as well. I'm still using dsss, it's too bad it's
abandoned (it seems like it is anyway). But makefiles, I don't know if
there's anything I hate more.

The question is: what exactly should the tool do?
Should it just download and install third party libraries?
Should it also contain something similar to rdmd?