Is [] mandatory for array operations?

Robert Jacques sandford at jhu.edu
Fri May 7 11:58:41 PDT 2010

On Fri, 07 May 2010 11:44:18 -0400, Steven Schveighoffer
<schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 07 May 2010 11:18:37 -0400, Robert Jacques <sandford at jhu.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 07 May 2010 11:11:47 -0400, Steven Schveighoffer
>> <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> As I've said before, I think a possible compromise to this is to allow
>>> paren-less function calls when the return type is void.  These
>>> functions cannot be misinterpreted as properties.
>>>
>>> I won't go over the other points again :)
>>>
>>> -Steve
>>
>> One of the major uses of paren-less functions is chaining, which always
>> return typeof(this), not void.
>
> It's a compromise.  It doesn't do everything you want, but it is good
> for some of it.
>
> -Steve

This reminds me of a graph I once saw long ago with 4 options:
1) Do what A wants and B is unhappy.
2) Do what B wants and A is unhappy.
3) Compromise and both A and B are unhappy.
4) Create a composite solution and both are happy.
Of course, 4) is really hard. :)