envy for "Writing Go Packages"

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Fri May 7 16:14:32 PDT 2010

On 2010-05-07 13:55:34 -0400, Walter Bright <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> said:

> Source code could look something like:
>
>      import http.d_repository.foo.version1_23;
>
> and the compiler could interpret "http" as meaning the rest is an
> internet url, foo is the package name, and version1_23 is the
> particular version of it.

So now, each time a new version of a library pops up you need to
search-replace the version number for all your source code, and source
code of other library you depend on? This is insane.

The version number shouldn't be there, except perhaps if it's a 'major'
version number full of breaking changes.

Also, putting in the source code the location or protocol to fetch the
repository isn't much better. There's a reason we have a module import
path: so that finding external code depends on compile-time
configuration, not on the actual code you build.

Allowing URLs in the import path might be an interesting idea though.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/