envy for "Writing Go Packages"

Thomas Leonard talex5+d at gmail.com
Sun May 9 05:27:43 PDT 2010

On Fri, 07 May 2010 22:36:22 -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> "Leandro Lucarella" <llucax at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:20100508011012.GA32072 at llucax.com.ar...
>> Walter Bright, el  7 de mayo a las 13:18 me escribiste:

>>> The caching should handle that transparently.
>>
>> Already done:
>> http://0install.net/
>>
>> Too bad (or good?) nobody uses or know it.
>>

> That looks absolutely awesome! My only little concern is that it's
> written in python, I had to use bazaar to do something one time and it
> was insanely slow.

The speed will depend on your computer, of course, but the overhead on my
laptop of using it is around 0.07s (70 ms) to select the versions to use
and check they're cached. If they're not cached, the network is the
limiting factor, naturally. Using 0compile (which also sets up build
directories and generates XML metadata about the build), it seems to add
about 0.5s per build:

  http://0install.net/0compile.html

A more likely problem is portability, since Windows users might not want
to have to install Python (although someone is writing a .NET version).

It should work well for D, as the Delight fork uses it (e.g. see the
installation instructions at http://delight.sourceforge.net/install.html).
If anyone wants to discuss it, you're welcome on the mailing list:

  http://0install.net/support.html

Cheers,

--
Dr Thomas Leonard
(author of Zero Install and the Delight experimental fork of D)