Drop extern (C++)

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Wed May 12 09:16:37 PDT 2010

== Quote from BLS (windevguy at hotmail.de)'s article
> Hi,
> I think nearly nobody is using extern (C++) 'cause of it's limits. So
> why not drop it ? IMHO this feature is not a " D2 sales argument",
> instead it's vs. productive.
> What do you think ?
> Bjoern

I agree.  I personally have no use for it.  How much C++ code is there out there that:

1.  Doesn't use templates in its external interface.

2.  Doesn't use public or protected member fields and virtual functions in the
same publicly visible object.  (C++'s classes are modeled as interfaces in D)

3.  Doesn't use exceptions in its public interface.

4.  Can't easily be given a C interface.

The questions are, how much complexity does it add to the compiler and is it
possible that this interface will become substantially less limited in the future?