[OT] The One Hundred Year Data Model

Spacen Jasset spacenjasset at yahoo.co.uk
Sat May 15 08:20:27 PDT 2010

Justin Johansson wrote:
> Perhaps off topic for this NG, though certainly a good topic for LtU,
> but nevertheless D people might have some interesting insight on the
> topic of data models (for programming languages).
>
> So I'll begin with saying, "Forget the Hundred-Year Language"
> c.f. http://www.paulgraham.com/hundred.html
> and
> http://tapestryjava.blogspot.com/2008/12/clojure-hundred-year-language.html
>
> and drop the notion of the "Next Big Language" per se.
>
> Let's take a step back and instead ask what might be the Next Big Data
> Model or the Hundred-Year Data Model in the same vein as Paul Graham
> contemplates (link above) a Hundred-Year Programming Language.
>
> While discussions about programming languages, syntax, static vs dynamic
> typing, etc are about ubiquitous and can be as emotional as political
> and religious ideological discussions, it seems (to me at least) that
> in-depth discussions about data models are few and far between.
>
> Apart from the Third Manifesto (the relational database data model) made
> famous in decades past
> http://www.thethirdmanifesto.com/
> there have been few advancements in abstract data models since then.
>
> While there may be others, the only significant new data model in the
> last decade that I know of is the XQuery 1.0 and XPath 2.0 Data Model (XDM)
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-datamodel/
>
> With the above preamble, I would like to ask members of the D community
>  to contemplate about what the ubiquitous data model of the future,
> perhaps the Hundred-Year Data Model, might be in shape or form, taking a
> programming language agnostic position.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Justin Johansson

What about the dimensional database model. Where each attribute is
effectively a dimension. This has been around for a while and it popular
in data warehousing applications. Data is king these days and extracting
information from it easily is what everyone wants to do that has a lot
of data.

I am surprised to find that there don't really appear to be many open
source libraries to support this sort of thing. Like for example sqllite
in the RDBMS field. There is jbase with it's multi valued fields and so
on, but as far as I can tell it is built on top of a relational model
which is more OLAP. Whereas I think I am thinking more along the lines
of MOLAP.