Building subprojects (Re: envy for "Writing Go Packages")

Graham Fawcett fawcett at uwindsor.ca
Sat May 15 09:27:25 PDT 2010

Hi Jacob,

On Sat, 15 May 2010 15:28:23 +0200, Jacob Carlborg wrote:

> If you already have it written the script in python why do you use a
> shell script as the dependency file?

The dependency file isn't strictly a shell script, though the syntax
looks the same. As you see, each line represents an external project;
but the program reads each line and decides whether or not to execute
it (via a system() call). It suits the needs of the moment, which are
minimal. I'm not suggesting it's a good long-term format.

> You could use python for that as well and you wouldn't have problems
> on windows.

Sure. At this early stage, I don't want to make too many decisions
about what technologies to use, what configuration formats, etc. The
big questions of the day are about function and scope: are we headed
in the right direction, where do we stop, and how do we separate our
concerns?

On a side note, I've found that dranges, dstats and dcrypt (all from
dsource.org) all work with a little bit of shoehorning (though I had
to patch dcrypt to get it to compile under the latest D2: see
http://github.com/gmfawcett/d-build/blob/dcrypt-play/DEPS). I would
really like to hear of any other online D2 libraries that appear to
work (and as importantly, ones that you'd like to work but don't).

Thanks for your input!
Graham