Misc questions:- licensing, VC++ IDE compatible, GPGPU, LTCG, QT, SDL

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Sun May 16 11:53:32 PDT 2010

bearophile wrote:
>> 3: I need my program to be as fast as possible. The Visual C++ compiler has
>> features such as "link-time code generation"
>
> This page explains this topic:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc301698.aspx

What's actually happening is interprocedural analysis, and inlining across
source modules. In C++ this needs to happen at link time because the C++
compilation module is each source file is completely independent of other source
files.

This is not true of D. In D, the compiler can (at the option of how it is
compiled and how the programmer sets up the source modules) look at all the
source to the program. Hence, a lot of inlining can (and does) happen across
modules without needing any support from the linker.