Misc questions:- licensing, VC++ IDE compatible, GPGPU, LTCG,

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sun May 16 13:28:53 PDT 2010

Alex Makhotin:

> May I ask you why are you planning to port an existing codebase to D?
> What kind of benefits specifically(except comparable to C performance)
> you expect from D?

At the moment performance (if compared to C++ code compiled with GCC or ICC) is not a selling point of D.
But D can be advertised for its other quality: compared to C or C++ it's very nice to write D code, it's more handy, and a little safer. This can be enough to to justify a switch from C++ to D :-)
A problem in such advertising strategy is that lot of people I know don't seem to look for a better C++, it seems they want to keep themselves away from anything that smells a bit of C++ :-(

Bye,
bearophile