Misc questions:- licensing, VC++ IDE compatible, GPGPU, LTCG, QT, SDL

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Mon May 17 15:06:31 PDT 2010

Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> "Jérôme M. Berger", el 16 de mayo a las 22:50 me escribiste:
>> Robert Clipsham wrote:
>>> LDC and GDC have no such
>>> restrictions, you can include them as long as you don't modify the
>>> source, and if you do then you distribute the source as well as the
>>> binaries.
>>>
>> 	That's a common misconception about the GPL: you have to distribute
>> the source even if you didn't modify it.
>
> The source must be available. You usually don't distribute the source if
> you didn't modify the program because anyone can find it in the original
> place. But when you do modify it, you must provide a way to access the
> source.

	Here is the relevant section in GPLv2:
==============================8<------------------------------
  3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it,
under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of
Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

    a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable
    source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections
    1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software
interchange; or,

    b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
    years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
    cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
    machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
    distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium
    customarily used for software interchange; or,

    c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer
    to distribute corresponding source code.  (This alternative is
    allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you
    received the program in object code or executable form with such
    an offer, in accord with Subsection b above.)

	Since the OP was talking about a commercial distribution, point (c)
does not apply and therefore, source must be redistributed.

		Jerome
mailto:jeberger at free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr
Jabber: jeberger at jabber.fr