Misc questions:- licensing, VC++ IDE compatible, GPGPU, LTCG, QT, SDL

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Tue May 18 13:42:10 PDT 2010

On 18/05/10 20:19, retard wrote:
> What if I'm using a clean room implementation of D with a custom backend
> and no accompanying C compiler, am I not allowed to compare the
> performance with anything?
>
> When people compare C compilers, they usually use the latest Visual
> Studio, gcc, icc, and llvm versions -- i.e. C compilers from various
> vendors. Using the same logic one is not allowed to compare dmc against
> those since it would always lose.

I don't believe Walter is arguing against this methodology. What he is
arguing against is comparing dmd with gcc for example. Comparing ldc
with gdc and dmd is fine, comparing dmd with dmc is fine, but when it
comes to comparing D and C, he believes you should compare compilers
using the same backend, that is dmd and dmc rather than dmd and gcc. Or
that's what I took from it.

This said, I don't agree with that methodology, unless it's only a small
test. If you're comparing lots of C compilers and D you should include
dmc for example if you're using dmd as the D reference, or clang if
you're using ldc as a reference. If you're comparing C and D, you should
stick to compilers with the same backend, otherwise the one with the
superior backend will always win, and it's not a fair interlanguage
comparison.