GWT clone

Mathias Laurenz Baumann anonym001 at supradigital.org
Sat May 22 11:19:14 PDT 2010

Greetings,

I want to write a web-library/framework, similar to [1]Webtoolkit or
[2]GWT.
For that I need to transform a sub portion of D code to javascript.
Additionally, I dislike changing the toolchain, which means it has all to
happen at the
compilation time.
I want to know what you think about the following possibilities and
whether you know better ones.

a)
Write a compile-time template based parser for D to JS code and parse the
.d files and transform them
b)
write a initialization-time parser for D to JS code, to access the D code,
each to-be-converted file
needs to have its own code as string, like char[] src = __FILE__;

well, yea that's it, I had no more ideas to do that.
Thoughts about a):
I was told that the compile-time features are not yet that mature to do
things like that, and that dmd would allocate
a lot of memory without freeing it to reach its goal. This could become a
problem when the app gets bigger.

Thought about b):
It's very ugly. Very. But it should work.

[1]http://www.webtoolkit.eu/wt
[2]http://code.google.com/intl/de-DE/webtoolkit/