Poll: Primary D version

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Sat May 22 14:35:05 PDT 2010

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> You both have a point. Clearly not a lot of individual applications
> really need more than 4GB (though unfortunately, many are pushing up for
> the wrong reasons), but then a whole category of them would greatly
> benefit of expanded RAM availability.

I would phrase it as the greatly expanded address space. This offers a ton of
benefits even if your app uses very little actual memory. For example, the stack
size problem for threads pretty much goes away. Garbage collection can get much
better. You can have much better hardware detection of wild pointers.