Poll: Primary D version

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat May 22 14:47:27 PDT 2010

Andrei Alexandrescu:

> It all depends on what the largest payload is. One of my apps' largest
> structures was a hash, which was almost twice as large in the 64-bit
> version.

Some of that extra space is used by the pointers that are twice larger.
The latest JavaVM are able to compress pointers in some situations, this can contain some info:
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.97.8725
The main LLVM designer has studied that in C-like languages too, such ideas can be usable in D too:
http://llvm.org/pubs/2005-06-12-MSP-PointerComp.html
If you are interested in this, you can find more papers, with examples, benchmarks, etc.

Bye,
bearophile