64-bit support (Was: Poll: Primary D version)

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Mon May 24 09:22:15 PDT 2010

dsimcha, el 24 de mayo a las 13:05 me escribiste:
> == Quote from Bruno Medeiros (brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail)'s article
> > On 23/05/2010 01:45, Walter Bright wrote:
> > > Walter Bright wrote:
> > >
> > > Other toolchain problems are things like shared libraries, installation,
> > > bugzilla bugs, etc.
> > Installation? What kind of problems are those?
>
> On Linux, DMD can be a PITA to install if you're using an ancient distribution due
> to glibc being a different version than what DMD expects.  I use such a machine
> and the only way to get DMD to work is to compile from source.

BTW, distributing a huge .zip with the binaries for all platforms is not
ideal either. In Linux you have to make the binaries executables. The only
straighforward option for Linux is the .deb, but it's only straightforward
for Ubuntu 32-bits, anything else needs some (non-trivial) work.