64-bit support (Was: Poll: Primary D version)

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips+D at gmail.com
Tue May 25 07:22:28 PDT 2010

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> I think at the end of the day we need a link that people can click on
> and that's that. How can we make that work? Do we need a 64-bit .deb, or
> is it possible to automatically instruct the package manager (in the
> case of Ubuntu gdebi) to install it with dependencies and all?
>
> Andrei

Ubuntu (and family) is probably the only distro that you can expect
gdebi to be installed on. And the only way to have it install the proper
packages is to install a package with the required dependencies e.g. an
AMD64 package.

To really make many Linux users happy would be to provide a repository.
Even Google doesn't provide a one-click install for their programs (I
bring them up because they try very hard to be user friendly).