64-bit support (Was: Poll: Primary D version)

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Tue May 25 09:38:00 PDT 2010

Justin Johansson, el 25 de mayo a las 22:42 me escribiste:
> retard wrote:
> >The files inside the .zip won't run because one particular Mr.
> >Bright doesn't set the +x flag on. It's not a fault of Linux if he
> >is using retarded Windows version of the zip packager. It's easy
> >to fix, he just doesn't care. The zip works just fine even on a
> >64-bit system if the 32-
> >bit libraries have been installed.
>
> Hey retard, while I enjoy reading a lot of the controversy that you
> like to create on this NG, sorry, on this occasion I think you are
> being somewhat unfair towards one particular person here.
>
> My understanding is that .zip files are traditionally a DOS
> (originally PKZIP) then come Windows thing then come Unix available.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZIP_%28file_format%29
>
> Being so, .zip files do not inherently/traditionally support
> recording Unix file permissions such as +x within the archive.  If
> such facilities exist today in Unix .zip utilities (and I am unaware
> of the same) these would have to be extensions over and above what
> .zip files are commonly understood to support given the DOS/PKZIP
> history of this file format.

Yes, it does:

$ touch bin
$ chmod a+x bin
$ ls -l bin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 luca luca 0 may 25 12:27 bin
$ zip bin.zip bin
  adding: bin (stored 0%)
$ rm bin
$ ls -l bin
ls: cannot access bin: No such file or directory
$ unzip bin.zip
Archive:  bin.zip
 extracting: bin
$ ls -l bin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 luca luca 0 may 25 12:27 bin

> Recording of Unix file permissions in archives is traditionally
> achieved with .tar files (and compressed variants) as I am sure you
> are well aware.
>
> When downloading archive from the net, I look for .zip files if
> wanting to install on Windows and .tar or .tar.gz if wanting to
> install on Unixes.  I imagine that most Unix-aware folks would do
> the same.

That makes no sense. Even when history is interesting, now both zip and
tar works just fine in both Unix and Windows, so retard is right, the zip
being broken is entirely Walter's fault. And I think he knows it, that's
why he said he wanted to give some love to the toolchain and distribution
issues when D2 is finished.

I don't think either attacking Walter gratuitously or defending him
blindly is a good for D.