64-bit support (Was: Poll: Primary D version)

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Tue May 25 09:47:01 PDT 2010

Jesse Phillips, el 25 de mayo a las 14:22 me escribiste:
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>

> > I think at the end of the day we need a link that people can click on
> > and that's that. How can we make that work? Do we need a 64-bit .deb, or
> > is it possible to automatically instruct the package manager (in the
> > case of Ubuntu gdebi) to install it with dependencies and all?
> >
> > Andrei
>
> Ubuntu (and family) is probably the only distro that you can expect
> gdebi to be installed on. And the only way to have it install the proper
> packages is to install a package with the required dependencies e.g. an
> AMD64 package.
>
> To really make many Linux users happy would be to provide a repository.
> Even Google doesn't provide a one-click install for their programs (I
> bring them up because they try very hard to be user friendly).

In Ubuntu is extremely easy, just create a PPA[1].

For Debian is not that east but is not that hard either and I think
providing a (well done) .deb is acceptable. In Debian (or even Ubuntu) it
could be possible to pull the package "upstream" (to the non-free
repositories in Debian and to the multiverse repositories in Ubuntu,
I think). *That* would be the ideal for a Debian/Ubuntu user.