64-bit support (Was: Poll: Primary D version)

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Wed May 26 06:49:24 PDT 2010

> On 05/26/2010 05:07 AM, Don wrote:
>> Bruno Medeiros wrote:

>>> Ah, ok, I've only used DMD windows so far, thus I wasn't aware of
>>> those problems. (in windows its fine)
>>>
>>> And I think the zip file installation is fine versus using an
>>> installer, in fact I even prefer it.
>> Ditto. Windows installers always make me nervous -- you're never quite
>> sure what they're going to do, and what problems they're about to cause.
>
> Hmmm, that's quite a change of attitude since my Windows days. I
> remember I wouldn't look twice at an application that didn't come with
> an installer.
>
> Andrei

I may not agree entirely with Don, because I my preference for zip files
was referring to the DMD case only, its not a general preference, it
depends on the application.

I would say an installer makes sense when the application needs to do
other OS tasks other than just extracting its files onto a folder, such
as creating Program menu shortcuts, setting up file associations,
configuring environment variables or OS services. Also if the
application stores data or configuration in user home folders, or in the
registry.
Any of these reasons most likely merit an installer (and uninstaller).

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer