Huffman coding comparison

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri May 28 18:27:15 PDT 2010

Simen kjaeraas:

> I'm now so tired of hearing this, I started writing something that
> does it:

Array comprehensions are syntax sugar. From what I have seen there is a very narrow range of usable syntaxes for them. Outside that range, they get much less useful or useless. Even Haskell has got them sub-quality.

At first sight they seem just able to allow you write one line of code instead of three or four, so no big deal. In practice they allow the programmer to turn those three lines of code into a single chunk. So the programmer can grasp and think about more code at the same time. This improves programming.

The word 'chunk' comes from mind sciences, it's the thing referred to in the famous "The Magical Number Seven, Plus or Minus Two", those are numbers of chunks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chunking_%28psychology%29

Eventually Walter will understand that. Walter is sometimes slow in improving his understanding of things, but he never stops moving forward: I think his meta-learning capabilities are not high, but they are present and they are higher than most of other people you find around (that often have near zero meta-learning capabilities) :-)

Bye,
bearophile