Memory Mapped File Access

BLS windevguy at hotmail.de
Sat May 29 08:21:18 PDT 2010

On 28/05/2010 09:28, Robert wrote:
> Hi, has anyone played around with D and memory mapped files on Windows /
> Linux?
>
> A friend of mine and I want to use D to develop a D native
> database-system. Yes, sounds crazy and it will take long and we haven't
> done a lot yet. So don't expect anything to look at soon :-)
>
> Thanks Robert.

Hi Robert,
in opposite to Bane I think this Job is doable and makes perfectly sense.
In fact the Suneido programming system is using a memory mapped file to
create a modern (and used in practice) database.
Database lines of code are remarkable less.. See yourself..

I would also say that D is the perfect language to implement such a system..

Cookbook for the Suneido DB
C++, MMAP file, slightly modified BTree indexing system( IMHO Skiplists
are preferable) Boehm GC in SVN (regular download uses home brewed GC),
Memory chunk support)

Features:
C/S database, ATOMIC, RAL (relational algebra... following C.J.Date...
set theories) instead of SQL

Link >
http://www.suneido.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=49&Itemid=1

Limits : Database size, but I think the size-limit is acceptable on 64
bit engines.
Number of concurrent access without hassle. 35-50 users

HTH Bjoern
Just this. I would choose Phobos MMAP over Tango MMAP.  compare it by
yourself.