std.container: the advent of deterministic containers

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Sun May 30 10:00:32 PDT 2010

== Quote from Andrei Alexandrescu (SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org)'s article
> http://erdani.com/d/phobos/std_container.html
> http://erdani.com/d/phobos/container.d
> I just implemented TightArray, which is a deterministically-allocated
> container that uses reference counting to free memory when the container
> and its last range go away. I have reasons to believe TightArray is
> entirely safe to use - cannot be broken by a @safe program.
> Ranges are not invalidated upon insertion and removal, but they are
> presumably slower than the built-in ranges.
> The implementation is unfinished but the steps to finishing it are more
> or less trivial.
> Andrei

This sounds great at least in the case of arrays of primitives (ints, floats, etc;
the common case for large arrays in scientific computing).  IMHO given D's current
GC the memory for very large data structures should be managed deterministically.

I wonder if there's a good argument that memory for very large data structures
should be managed deterministically even in the case of better (Java/C#-like)
GC's, especially if they're shared across threads.  IIRC these GCs don't use bump
allocation and copying for very large contiguous data structures.  Furthermore, in
a multicore/multithreaded/parallel environment, frequent collections are a killer
(ignoring parallel collectors, which no mainstream language has implemented for
production use AFAIK).

A few questions/comments:

1.  Reviewing the code, it looks like you forgot to use GC.addRange/GC/removeRange
calls to make sure that the array is scanned by the GC if it has pointers in it.
What if I make a TightArray of void*s?  How will it get scanned by the GC?

2.  How are cycles dealt with?  Although ideally they would be dealt with somehow,
I don't see putting the onus on the programmer as the worst thing in the world,
since TightAA is probably mostly going to be used for storing primitives and
structs w/o pointer indirection anyhow.