Containers I'd like to see in std.containers

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmail.com
Sun May 30 16:25:48 PDT 2010

Philippe Sigaud wrote:

> There are some simple containers I'd like to see in std.containers:
>
> - a priority queue
> - a heap
> - a stack, a queue
> - a set
>
> Do people here also consider them as containers and useful ones in a
> standard library?
>
>   Philippe

A sorted map in addition to a hash map would be good, and for a set, both a
sorted and a hash variety woud be good. And of course, multisets and
multimaps would be useful too. We also lack a doubly-linked list.

I do agree with others that a normal stack and queue are either unnecessary
or that they should be achieved via aliasing or some other thin wrapper.
Creating a whole new container just for a name seems a bit silly and creates
more code to maintain.

- Jonathan M Davis