If you have to learn just one programming language

Mon May 31 10:11:26 PDT 2010

On Mon, 31 May 2010 15:43:36 +0000, retard wrote:
> I'm not sure if bearophile or some other language advocate posted this
> already, but:
>
> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/c3p8e/
> if_you_have_to_learn_just_one_programming_language/
>
> "Here are my criteria for selecting (a non domain specific) language to
> learn."

It seems to me that most of your statements are completely subjective,
since you haven't backed any of them by actual evidence.  Nor do you
suggest ways to improve on the situation.  As far as helping D goes, you
might as well have said "I don't like cheese".

> most dsource projects
> are deprecated (D1) or dead.

I suspect the same is true for SourceForge or any other similar site.
The problem is that dead projects are listed together with the few active
ones, but that's a problem with dsource, not with D.

Also, I believe there are plenty of people who will disagree with you
that D1 is "deprecated".

> DMD only works on 32-bit x86.

It works on x86 and x86-64, for Windows, Linux, OSX and FreeBSD.  This
covers the vast majority of desktops and servers in existence.  (Embedded
systems are a different story, though.)

> "Opensource is a fine model, but if the author doesn’t want to release
> his/her creation under open-source he/she should be able to do so."
>
> The official backend is non-free.

What does "official backend" mean?  I guess you mean DMD's backend, which
is both "free as in beer" and open source, only not "free as in speech"
or Open Source (TM).

But I don't see what this has to do with D users' choice of open or
closed source.

-Lars