If you have to learn just one programming language

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmail.com
Mon May 31 17:33:49 PDT 2010

Adam Ruppe wrote:

> On 5/31/10, retard <re at tard.com.invalid> wrote:
>> For example the lambda syntax is terribly verbose in D compared to Scala
>> or Haskell.
>
> Eh, one man's "terse" is another man's "unreadable".

True, though I think that Haskell's lambda syntax is quite nice (I haven't
used Scala, so I can't comment there). However, I don't think that it would
really fit in D. Haskell uses type-inference for everything, so lambdas
don't include types. And since D is statically typed and only uses type-
inference with templates, it wouldn't work very well to use the same sort of
syntax in D. What D has is still rather good though, just not as terse. I
don't see you getting much terser in D without making it problematic.

So, the level of terseness which is appropriate is also very context-
dependent, not just programmer-dependent.

- Jonathan M Davis