Link time optimization in D

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Mon May 31 18:10:44 PDT 2010

retard wrote:
> I thought the DMD's approach required sources for each module and GCC
> supported LTO even when only object / library files were provided.

DMD does require the sources, or at least the sources you'd like to have
inlined. GCC requires all the sources used to be compiled with a special switch:

"When using multiple steps, it is strongly recommended to use exactly the same
optimization and machine-dependent options in all commands, because conflicting
options during compilation and link-time may lead to strange errors."

https://lwn.net/Articles/387122/