LDC2 Status [was: Marketing D]

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 1 01:26:58 PDT 2010

== Quote from Walter Bright (newshound2 at digitalmars.com)'s article
> dsimcha wrote:
> > In the bigger picture, the only usable D2 implementation is DMD.  This isn't so
> > bad, as non-reference implementations always take awhile to catch up.  Jython, for
> > example, is still back on Python 2.5.  However, it would be nice if there were
> > multiple *usable* implementations of D2.
> I don't understand why there would be any technical reasons why a D1 compiler
> using the dmd front end could not relatively trivially upgrade to D2.

For the most part, the incremental updates I've been doing with GDC have lots of
(what turned out to be) trivial changes. Add those changes all up though... :~)

> I can't think of any back end changes necessary to support D2, other
> than some trivial changes to the symbolic debug info, which are not
> strictly necessary.

The only feature I've come across that looks set to me (finally) making changes to
the backed are with implementing in/out contract inheritance, but that's a D1
feature too...

> Additionally, if the LDC or GDC teams have suggestions on changes to the front
> end that will make their work easier, I'm not hard to find!

In a month, the GDC project may be in such a position (up to date + stable) that I
will likely do so.