Marketing D [ was Re: GCC 4.6 ]

Juanjo Alvarez fake at fakeemail.com
Mon Nov 1 02:08:40 PDT 2010

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 14:12:04 -0700, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
> Sometimes I feel people are just waiting around, wanting to use D,
but waiting
> for someone else to make the first move. It's like a dance club,
where everyone

With Python what happened for some years was that some companies were
using it for lots of internal project, but not disclosing its use,
for fear that the upper management could scream, "whats that python
crap! That is not java! " I know because I worked on one of them (a
fortune 100 bank).

The same happens with lots of other technologies inside Big Corps
(MySQL comes too my mind too), they are first used by programmers and
people that know their job in a semi stealth way and later they are
accepted by the people whose main job is internal company politics
and can't tell the difference of a ref from a pointer.

I'm not saying this is the case with D2, I would not use it my
daywork production code yet (but my play project at home is already
over 5000 lines of code and the last version of dmd fixed all the
bugs I stumbled on while developing it), but this is surely going to
happen a lot once D2 stabilizes.