The Computer Languages Shootout Game

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Mon Nov 1 02:33:50 PDT 2010

Mon, 01 Nov 2010 11:19:08 +0100, Diego Cano Lagneaux wrote:

>>> Of which there are very few. A linux distro or community repository
>>> cannot distribute dmd at all, it is prohibited by the license. This is
>>> primarily a practical issue, not an ideological one.
>>
>> Right.. I forgot the issue is also practical. If DigitalMars doesn't
>> allow redistribution, they simply cannot include it even if they
>> wanted.
>>
> ArchLinux includes dmd (version 1) in its community repo. It does not
> seem so impossible as you say.

I didn't say it seems so impossible. The sentence starts with the word
IF. That's exactly what the prohibition of redistribution means. It's a
fact, it's not an opinion. You don't need belief.

The ArchLinux developers have either made a deal with DigitalMars or they
only provide a download script that fetches the binaries from the
DigitalMars site. However this is not something they would allow in the
standard core packages. Otherwise they couldn't provide any installers or
live CD/DVD distributions.