Overzealous recursive template expansion protection?

Gareth Charnock gareth.charnock at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 19:03:47 PDT 2010

I've been trying to correctly implement the interpreter
patten/expression templates in D (for reference this is a summary of the
C++ interpreter patten can be found here
http://www.drdobbs.com/184401627). I've run into a problem and I'm not
sure if it's a compiler bug or not. The testcase is:

struct BinaryOp(L,string op,R) {
	pragma(msg,"Instansiating " ~ typeof(this).stringof);
	BinaryOp!(typeof(this),s,R1) opBinary(string s,R1)(R1 r) {
		pragma(msg,"Instansiating BinaryOp.opBinary ~L.stringof ~ op ~
R1.stringof);
		return typeof(return)();

struct Leaf {
	BinaryOp!(typeof(this),s,R) opBinary(string s,R)(R r) {
		pragma(msg,"Instansiating leaf.opBinary(" ~ R.stringof ~ ")");
		return typeof(return)();
	}
};

void main() {
	Leaf v1,v2,v3;
	pragma(msg,"");
	pragma(msg,"======= This Compiles ======");
	v1*(v2*v3);
	pragma(msg,"");
	pragma(msg,"======= This Doesn't ======");
  	(v1*v2)*v3;
}
Output:
======= This Compiles ======
Instansiating BinaryOp!(Leaf,s,Leaf)
Instansiating leaf.opBinary(Leaf)
Instansiating BinaryOp!(Leaf,s,BinaryOp!(Leaf,s,Leaf))
Instansiating leaf.opBinary(BinaryOp!(Leaf,s,Leaf))

======= This Doesn't ======
Error: recursive template expansion for template argument
BinaryOp!(Leaf,s,Leaf)

I've tracked the problem down to the return type of BinaryOp.opBinary.
Clearly putting BinaryOp!(typeof(this),...) would be a Bad Thing in the
main template body but opBinary is a template that may or may not be
instantiated so it shouldn't automatically lead to runaway
instantiation. It seems the compiler is a little bit overzealous in
making sure that such runaway instantiations do not happen.

Is this a bug? Should I file it? Here's what I think a minimal test case
might look like:

struct A(T1) {
	void templateFunc(T2)(T2 a) {
		 alias A!(typeof(this)) error;